MDWFP urges everyone hunting from an elevated stand to consider these treestand safety precautions:
· Always use a full-body harness.
· Read all instructions and watch video included with any treestand or treestand-related product.
· Carry and know how to use the suspension relief device (SRD).
· Practice suspension and using the SRD at ground level (with another responsible adult supervising).
· Inspect treestands and safety equipment each time they are used.
· Maintain connection to the tree from the time you leave the ground until you return to the ground (life-lines are a great option for fixed-position stands).
· Make a plan prior to each hunt that includes letting someone know where you will be hunting.
· Carry an emergency signal device (cell phone or whistle attached to harness).
· Use a lineman’s belt and the supplied tree strap while hanging a fixed-position stand.
· Never use tree limbs to climb.
· Remove all stands from the woods each year and store stands out of the weather.
For information regarding deer or deer hunting opportunities in Mississippi, visit our website at www.mdwfp.com/deer <http://www.mdwfp.com/deer> or call us at 601-432-2199. Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/mdwfp <http://www.facebook.com/mdwfp> or on Twitter at www.twitter.com/MDWFPonline <http://www.twitter.com/MDWFPonline> .